Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Angelitos


Dear Family,                                                                                                              

Tomorrow I will complete 1 year in Mexico. Wow...that went by fast. My visa actually expired back in April. I think we will go to the immigration office next week to renew our visas. It is not an issue if I am illegal right now, but if I were to try to leave the country they probably wouldn’t let me...but I’m not leaving the country any time soon so I’m fine. I’m definitely not native...I have a pretty good gringo accent to go along with my blue eyes and white complexion...unfortunately I don’t think I will ever be native. 

Happy Birthday Dad!!! I remember that last year I forgot your birthday because I had just barely gotten to Mexico and was a little overwhelmed with all that was going on, but now I remembered. The big 5-0. Wow. I probably shouldn’t make any old people jokes so I will just say ¡Felicidades!

This letter might be a little shorter because we have to be at an interview with President at 4:30. Today was Elder Bringhurt’s birthday so we went and did his favorite thing, we ate tacos. But these tacos are super good, they are chopped up costilla with melted queso oaxaca on a big flour tortilla with beans and potatoes and a really good guacamole. 25 pesos and I am stuffed. It´s great when you and get really full for 2 bucks. He turns 21 today. That’s old (sorry dad). When I turn 21 I will only have 2 months left in the mission and time is just flying by. 

This week we had 3 baptisms. I would have sent pictures but this computer is slightly broken and doesn’t want to attach a file. The first was Hector, the son of Ami who was baptized about 4 weeks ago. He is 13, and when we first started teaching him he was really closed and didn’t like to talk very much. We brought him to the mutual night and got him to know the other jovenes and most importantly in the first lesson we left a Book of Mormon with him and told him to read and pray. When we can back the next time we asked how his prayer had gone and he just told us with a smile on his face "I felt something right here (with his hand on his chest) and I felt really good." He had been looking for a change in his life and he found it in the Book of Mormon.

The next was Miguel. He is about 14 and is the cousin of one of the youth in our ward that always helps us out with divisions and things like that. Actually we invited Miguel´s aunt to go with us to the first appointment with Hector because her son is about Hector´s age. She just happened to bring Miguel along to see what the missionaries taught about. Cha ching. He read the Book of Mormon and prayed to know if it was true...and it obviously is. He felt it too and decided to be baptized.

The last was Blanca Lydia. She is about 65 and we found her by knocking her door. She let us in and we didn’t really think she was going to progress because she was a little bit out of it and was taking bible study classes from the Christians and the Jehovah´s Witness. But we left a Book of Mormon and asked her to read it and to pray. When we came back she told us she had read and prayed and received an answer...then she asked what she needed to bring to her baptism!! She always calls us her angelitos which makes me feel good. 3 more converts for the Book of Mormon. It never fails us because it is true. It´s pages were written for us, and for these people. It does not matter what your problem is or how long you have had it or how bad you think it is. It´s answer is in the Book of Mormon. Of course the bible is true and we use it too....but no one else has the Book of Mormon.

I love you all so much. I am soo glad that every one is doing well. To those who have written real letter recently...sorry I haven’t written back but we have been super busy. But that’s how it should be. I love you all and pray for you every day.

Love, 

Elder Nelson  

No comments:

Post a Comment