Monday, November 14, 2011

Mexican Etiquette

Dear Family,

Ok, I will answer the questions first so that I don´t forget. On the day of the dead we worked just like normal until the end of the day. In DF it was a  lot different that it was in Teotihuacan. It was basically just like Halloween...all the kids dressed up and went around asking for candy and stuff. The Catholic part of Day of the Dead was still pretty strong, everyone put up their altar to their loved ones that had already passed on with their food offerings and candles. It is kind of hard to explain so it will probably be better when I get home. There is actually a bull fighting ring in Pachuca. I never went...but a lot of people watch the fights from Spain and things. 
The elder with me in last week´s picture was Elder Pukahi, he is the visas secretary. We met them at the tacos on Monday on their way to Teotihuacan. I am still with Elder Bringhurst...we are going to compete 5 months together in a week or so. I love him so much and I really am glad that we have been together because I have learned so much with him. As for changes (which are Tuesday) President told us in our interview with him this week that Elder Bringhurst will probably be leaving Campestre to train in about January or February. He will have 3 months left in February so that will probably be about when we see a new companion. I will be here for a long time because if Elder Bringhurst leaves in January or February then I will train the new assistant and leave in about March or April. But I just told President that I´m good wherever he wants me. Wherever he wants me is wherever God wants me so I´m pretty much good wherever.
As for weird things I probably won´t notice them until I´m home because everything is so normal to me now. But one funny thing is that people always get on the metro and buses selling peanuts and pens and pictures of the Virgin Mary or whatever thing they could get their hands on. Sometimes they play instruments or tell jokes....but all with the (fin) of making money. Also...when someone walks by where people are eating you usually say "provecho"  to which all the people eating respond "gracias". If you are walking through a group of people and you don´t say "con permiso" everyone looks at you like you killed someone. And you never ever throw money. If you buy something and just kind of toss the money on the counter....it basically is the same as flipping them off. You have to lay it nicely down on the counter or put it directly into their hand. I can´t really think of anything else right now. Also it is completely acceptable to talk bad about American and Argentinians...but if you happen to defend Americans or Argentinians (everyone hates them because they are really proud and think they are all that.....but they are not) you are automatically racist and every one asks you why there are so many racists in America. Just some funny things from Mexico. I can´t really think of anything else.
Today we got up at 4:45 to go pick up the new Mexican elders form the CCM and take them to the house of President and train them. I think we´ll have some good elders from this group. I wonder if that´s how it was when we were receiving our first lessons in the spirit world before coming here. "I think we´ll have some good ones from this group..." Tomorrow will be the changes.
My favorite area is Teotihucan. I would go back if President would let me. I don´t know how possible that is...but we can always hope. The Martinez Avila family is taking the temple prep classes, but don´t have a date yet. They say that it will probably be before December !!!!
Miguel's Mom
I sent the pictures from the baptism of Miguel's mom. She was baptized on Sunday and I got to baptize her. When I was baptizing her my foot slipped and my sandal fell off...but I still got her up fine and the ordinance didn´t have to be repeated. It´s funny how much we don´t appreciate the important things sometimes. This week the mission baptized 56, which is a long ways from where I would like it to be. But President just said, well that´s 56 souls saved in the Kingdom of God. True, and I repented for being disappointed. 
I love you all. I am glad Mom´s surgery went well and I hope that she really does get better this time. Ask the helper lady what part of Pachuca she is from...like what colony. I love you all so much and I hope you are all doing as well as I imagine.

´Till next week,
Elder Nelson 

No comments:

Post a Comment