Tuesday, June 12, 2012

And the Rains came down...


Oh, Rats!
Dear Family,                                                                                                                                     

Well I got the letters and pictures from last week so thanks for that. I knew that Mom never missed a week and that`s what made it kind of weird for me. But don`t worry I had plenty of other things to do this week to keep me busy. I am officially going to finish my mission in Tulancingo. They announced changes today in the morning and I am also going to stay with Elder ReidReynoso until the end.  I am happy and also sad.  I loved DF so much and I hoped to go back for my last 6 weeks but I love my companion so it he will be a good last companion.

I saw the pictures of Cameron`s graduation and I just kind of sat there in shock for a second or two. That is just so strange. Also Elder Jordan went home on Friday...I also thought that that was a little weird.

The rains that Dad was talking about finally hit this week....it rained ALOT. I sent some pictures. The rat was just rolling down the street struggling for air because the streets had turned into raging rivers. The sewers erupted and became artistic fountains of filth and on top of that it hailed. It started hailing first and Elder Reynoso and I got caught in the middle of the street so we just took off running looking for cover. There were some crazy rapids we had to cross to get back to the house to change socks and with every step the water splashed half way up my calf. It was awesome. I love stuff like that. Then later this week I was in Xicotepec on divisions and it rained there too. The difference is that this time the rain was warm and we were in the middle of the jungle so it was definitely much more epic.

In Xico we had kind of an interesting experience. Early in the day, like about 12pm there was a little girl playing outside in the yard (all dirt and garbage) who ran up to hill to talk to her Dad. Her Dad came out to see what or who we were and his face was painted completely white. He was a clown!! He actually invited us in. We had to work really hard not to laugh as we walked in the house just because we were going to teach a clown. We walked into the one room house full of old food and garbage and dust and began to teach. He actually truly had a need for the gospel and wanted to get closer to God. He accepted to go to church and to be baptized....I guess even clowns need the gospel.

We also contacted another man about 1 who couldn`t let us in right then so we set up an appointment to come back later that evening. The problem is that the streets don`t have signs and the houses don`t have numbers and the colonies are kind of weirdly divided....so we went up the hill and down the hill and across a river and kept looking for him. Finally we found the place where he lived...and he didn`t live there. So, thinking that God might have something else in store for us there we began to search around and knock some doors. I spotted a house on the hill and I felt like we should knock there so we went. The house was made out of tarps and sticks and had cardboard for insulation. The rain was pouring through the roof of tarps and into the house...and they let us in. They expressed a great need for getting closer to God and finding the truth and we got really excited because it was a large family. Then they told us that they go to Misa (mass) every week at 5 in the morning and weren`t interested in learning more about our church. We tried to explain but they just couldn`t accept. I feel like God put us there to give them the chance....but everyone has their agency and unfortunately they used their agency incorrectly. So disappointing...but that is life...that is eternity.

The Elders quorum is going to start reading classes so Eusevio can learn how to read better so we are excited about that.

For the testimony meeting we had them all gathered at the base of the waterfall and there is a rock (the rock where we took the group picture) that kinda looks like pride rock. We sat them all down in a circle and explained the significance of the activity and talked about obedience and diligence and then we each bore our testimonies about the mission and told them that the time was theirs to share what they would like to share (in 1-2 minutes because we didn`t want to be there all day). So one by one they got up and bore their testimonies about the work we do and the life style we lead. It was really cool to hear the testimonies of those who are truly consecrated. There is a true power in delivering yourself over to the Lord. Afterwards we gave them a little time to reflect and take pictures and things like that and then we took them down to eat in the restaurant of a sister in Huauchinango. We ate huaraches (thick foot long tortillas with meat and lettuce and salsa).



The Senior party sounds fun....but I`m not one for staying up until 4 in the morning anymore. I have been waking up at 6:30 and sleeping at 10:30 for two years now and my body is quite used to it. That just doesn`t sound that fun....

That is soo cool that Jackson`s family got to be there for a baptism. I would love to have all of you come see one of ours...but that`s not what God wants so I guess it`s not important. Well...time is running short so I love you all so much. It seems like every other day is a Pday because the weeks are just flying by so quickly...so I`ll be emailing you again soon. Tell all of the returned missionaries hello for me,

Love,

Elder Nelson


No comments:

Post a Comment