Monday, June 4, 2012

Last Capacitation

Note from Peggy:  We have had a really hard time with myldsmail lately.  Sometimes we get the letters in pieces several hours apart.  We actually never got his letter this week, I had to hack his account to see if he wrote us, which he had.  Evidently, he never got our letter either.


Happy 21st Birthday!
Querida familia,

Well I assume that something happened or you didn`t have time to write or something. I guess there`s a first time for everything. In the future in something happens and you can`t write if you could at least send me a line or two telling me there wasn`t time and that you`ll write next week just so that I don`t have to wonder what happened. I know I`m coming home soon....but not so soon that you have to stop writing me.


Eusevio
Ana
Well, this week went really well. We had two baptisms, Eusevio and Ana. The other elders in our ward baptized a family of 4 and I thought the picture of all of us together was pretty cool. Eusevio is a 22 year old that we found through a ward activity. He just has a huge desire to fix his life and progress in the life. He wanted to be baptized so badly, but it was really hard to get him ready because he doesn`t read very well (about as well as a 1st grader). But he just kept on going and reading and learning and finally he was ready for Sunday. We had two baptismal services, 1 after the services and another at 6:30. Eusevio was baptized after the services with the family of four. Ana was the 15 year old that I told you about. She didn`t believe in God about 3 weeks ago. Her baptismal service was so special and so spiritual and she chose me to baptize her. She didn`t want to get baptized with the other 5 because she doesn’t like attention and didn`t want very many people to be there so we had a service special for her.

We had a council with the district leaders in the zone just before and one of the missionaries in the council was Elder Hopkins. He has been one of my friends in the mission since a long time ago and he goes home on Friday. It is really weird to say good bye to him and Elder Jordan. As he was leaving he said "this may be the last time I see you in the mission, but it is a good image to finish with--Elder Nelson dressed in white." I was reflecting on that during the baptismal service of Ana and I just felt the spirit so strong that I wanted to run outside and tell the whole world about the restored gospel. This is who I am, it is part of me. Then I thought, "How can I ever stop doing this?" My mission has become part of me and I don`t know how I can ever let it go. I don`t want to ever change. We are declaring the gospel of Jesus Christ unto the ends of the world and we are changing lives. We are changing the world one person at a time. I cannot fathom anything that could remotely compare to the satisfaction of being a full time defender and messenger of eternal salvation. There is not enough time in eternity to become fed up or bored with being a missionary if you truly understand what you are about.

I got the birthday package! We had the Zone Leader Council on Thursday the 31st and I received it on Thursday. I also sent a word document with the capacitation that Elder Reynoso and I gave. They chose us to capacitate...it was the last capaciation I will ever give and so we tried to make it really good.  President has a pyramid he uses to teach the process of conversion. The bottom in finding a new family every single day, then comes teaching the first lesson and inviting them to be baptised, then comes going to church, then progressing then baptisms then the temple then the exaltation. It is a pyramid because not every one that is found is baptized and not everyone that is baptized goes to the temple. He also has a three legged stool that teaches about the 3 pillars of the obra misional, diligence, obedience and the Spirit. They assigned us the topic of how the conversion of the investigators has to do with the conversion of the missionary (how the pyramid rests on the stool.) I can explain it later if you don`t understand.

I forgot to tell you a couple stories from last week. Last week Elder Reynoso and I were teaching a lesson. I was speaking when all of the sudden Elder Reynoso stands up and yells "Elder Nelson" pointing at my arm. I jumped to my feet thinking that there was some sort of bug on the couch or something but Elder Reynoso grabbed a pillow and whacked me with it. I was pretty confused until I looked at the ground and saw a spider about the size of a 50 cent piece. It had been secretly crawling over my shoulder while I was teaching and I didn`t notice. Needless to say the spirit left pretty quickly..but I didn`t die so I guess that`s the more important part.

On Saturday (two days ago) we found a new investigator named Irene. She is an older lady (maybe 65) who let us into her house and wanted to hear more about the gospel. She seemed very elect and accepted all her commitments (go to church and baptism for the 17th). We passed by for her the next day and she was ready and waiting for us. She loved church, and when she found out that there was going to be a baptismal service after church she wanted to be baptized! She said that she hadn`t brought clothes and so she didn`t know if she would be able to but she would like to. We explained that we would do everything possible to baptize her the soonest possible, but that this week might be a little too soon. Incredible right? Well, I promised I would respond to everyone who wrote me last week so I`m gonna end this email to write the other ones. My birthday went fine. A normal work day just the way I wanted it. Some members made me a cake so we went and ate cake with them but we also collected a couple references so that it wouldn´t be a complete waste of time. I`m 21...weird. I still feel like I`m 18 and just barely out of high school....I guess the time goes by quickly. Well, I love you all. I hope all is well and that no one got hurt or no emergencies happened. Tell Jackson hello for me and let me know about how his family’s trip went. Also...Mom I need those baptismal photos from me and Elder Bringhurst please. Thanks.

Love,

Elder Nelson 

P.S.  Also I forgot to thank Grandma N for the chocolate and the letter. Also thanks for the book. I have been reading it at night and it is really good. I love the quote "The best measure of the greatness of a man is how much he can become like Jesus Christ." Thanks you for the popcorn and fruit leather...everything is sooo good. Thanks love ya bye

No comments:

Post a Comment