Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Acorns of Faith


Dear Family,                                                                                                                                                                      

I am still with Elder Jordan for at least another 5 weeks. I have a sneaking suspicion that I might have changes this next time around...but I guess we will find out in 5 weeks. Our week went well. We found a couple good families...but they didn´t go to church so we will have to make some plans to get them there next week. I got my package!! Thanks for everything. The fruit by the foot are soo good. Tell Aunt Janet and Uncle Rick thanks for the quote book. I started reading it an there are some good ones there that I will probably use in capacitations and things like that. Grandma thank you for your card and letter and candy. Also tell the Priests’ Quorom that I finally got their letter from Christmas.

As for going to the temple there are a couple families that look like they will make it there before I go home form this ward. The Garcia family and the Carrapia family. One goes in June and the other in July so we will see if they make it before I have to go. There are several others that will go to the temple for sure....but I will be home before that which is too bad. But I guess that´s just a part of life. We used to get a couple referrals a week from the visitors center...but they closed it in January for extensive renovations and won´t open it again until November. We used to take people there almost every Sunday. It is only about 15 minutes away in micro...walking would probably be about 45 minutes.

This week we had a baptism. His name was Marcos and he is incredible. Elder Bringhurst and I taught him about 4 months ago...but since he couldn´t go to church because of his work (he is a professional soccer coach) we never went back. He seemed pretty interested so Elder Jordan and I went and taught him and his family but he still couldn´t go to church so we invited him and didn´t go back. Then about 3 weeks later he showed up to church all by himself. He said that he was looking for a change in his life and that he felt good about what we had taught him. We are still working with his wife. She has been Catholic her whole life and is having some trouble leaving behind her traditions...but there is nothing the Book of Mormon and the Spirit cannot do. It felt so good to baptize a future priesthood holder. For some reason most of the people I have taught and seen baptized have been women...probably because they are more sensible to the whispering of the spirit. But we are going tonight with the ward missionaries to start the hand off to the ward and I really believe he will be a strong addition to the ward. He was so nervous his first time in the church and so nervous for his interview baptismal...but after his baptism he said "I am now more convinced than ever that this is what I should be doing."

By the way I did not forget the birthdays of Darci and Kolby....I remembered them when they happened but then I forgot when we went to write. But Happy birthdays anyways.

Stockton and Malone???
Today for P Day we went and played basketball on a wood court! It was so awesome. I had never heard of a wood basketball court in Mexico but there happens to be one where we can play for free about 10 minutes from our area. All the courts in the churches are outside and concrete with metal back boards that don´t have nets. It was nice to have a glass backboard and a nylon net for once. We played 3 on 3...but there were 11 so Elder Jordan and I were a team of 2. Sort of like John Stockton and Karl Malone. We beat everybody.

Well...I wrote really well in my journal this week but I can´t remember anything else that happened so I guess I will have to write things down for next week. I love you all and I pray for you. I want to know when Cameron gets into BYU and where he is going to live and stuff like that. I read a quote in my quote book this week that I liked a lot. I may have modified it a little bit..but it says "The power of 1,000 mighty oaks lies with 1 acorn." Shall we not go forward in so great a cause? What we are doing right now will change everything. The ripple effect will go out of control if we just do what´s right. "It makes all the difference in eternity whether we choose right or wrong today." We cannot even see the mighty effect our efforts will make...but some day we will. We have to give everything to the Lord, we must do everything in our power to serve Him and save His children. It makes all the difference in eternity. I love you all and hope you have a great week.

Trying to plant some acorns,      
Elder Nelson 

No comments:

Post a Comment