Monday, March 5, 2012

My Banner is Clear


Dear Family,                                                       
Well, glad to hear that all is well on the housing front. Sounds like finally everything fell into place like it should have. Funny how God makes us stress out until we act...then everything falls into place.

President Hicken doesn´t allow us to extend. He always says "your mission is for 24 months...then you have to move on with your life." So no I will not be extending. As far as requests for packages...the only thing I can think of is socks. I always run out. My shirts are still good, my pant are still good, I just barely had to start using my other pair of shoes (19 months took its toll on the first pair) and my garments are still in good working order so the only thing I can think of is socks. I don´t really care what kind. I like gold toes...but really you could buy Wal-Mart socks and I would be happy.

Graciela and Diosilyn
This week Graciela (the older woman in white) and Diosilyn (the younger girl in white) were baptized!! Graciela we found about 4 weeks ago. Elder Jordan found her with another elder who was here with us for a couple days. They contacted her 4 times on the same day...and she finally accepted. They just kept running into her...I guess if God wants somebody to accept He will put them in our path as many times as is necessary. She was really having a rough time because her 16 year old son had just barely found out that he was going to be a father. Her son and husband are actually members of the church...but very inactive. Actually her husband didn´t even come to the baptismal service. She has truly seen how the peace and joy of the gospel can change someone´s life. She told us that she was happier Sunday than the day she was married. She is just so happy...and that makes me happy. Diosilyn is the daughter of an inactive woman. We found her and started teaching about the Book of Mormon. She wanted to be baptized because she felt how much peace entered her life when she started reading the book. Her mom is now fully active and very grateful to have returned to the church. It is interesting because I had taught this same family several times months ago with Elder Bringhurst and they had never wanted to go to church...I guess some people need a little more preparation.

They have had some crazy opposition. Last Monday we received a phone call from Diosilyn asking if we could come over. We went over and everybody was a little freaked out because her mom had left on a business trip a couple days before and one of the tires on her truck had exploded going 80 miles an hour on a busy highway. They fixed it and then a couple minutes later they had another tire blow out. They didn´t think anything of it until they got home and started drinking water with ice cubes. The water tasted horrible...and made them throw up a lot. They discovered that someone had put poison in the fridge...they had painted the inside of the fridge and where the ice cubes are made with cockroach poison. We gave a couple blessings and the spirit entered the room. Everything turned out ok...they fired a couple of people who worked in their house and things seem to have quieted down for now. Of course they can´t call the police because they wouldn´t do anything anyways. The police’s policy is that they won´t investigate until somebody is dead....good policy.

Marcos received the priesthood and is really excited. His wife accepted a baptismal date for the 25th of March!!!!




I also attached a couple of pictures of my area to try to give you a better idea of what I see everyday. I really do love this ward and this area. There is an incredible amount of people in the streets waiting to be taught the gospel. I didn´t write in my journal very much this week because there was so many things that happened that we were soo busy all week. So I don´t really know what else to write. But I will do better this week.

I love you all and I pray for you everyday. I love the gospel and Mexico and there is no other place on the earth that I would rather be. I read a quote this week by Henry B. Eyring that was really inspiring:




"I am part of the fellowship of the unashamed. The dye has been cast; I have stepped over the line. The decision has been made. I am a disciple of Jesus Christ. I won´t look back, let up, slow down or be still. My past is redeemed, my present makes sense and my future is secure. I´m finished with low living, small planning, smooth knees, colorless dreams, tamed visions, worldly walking, cheap living and dwarfed goals. I no longer need pre-eminence, positions, promotions, or popularity. I don´t have to be right, first, recognized, praised, or rewarded. I now live by faith, lean on His presence, walk with patience, am uplifted in prayer, and labor with power. My pace is set, my gate is fast, and my goal is heaven. My road is narrow, my way is rough, my companions few, my guide reliable, my Mission clear. I cannot be bought, compromised, detoured, lured away, divided, or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice, hesitate in the presence of the adversary, negotiate at the table of the enemy, ponder at the pool of popularity or meander in the maze of mediocrity. I won´t give up, shut up, or let up until I have stayed up, stored up, and paid up for the cause of Christ. I must go until he comes, give until I drop, preach all I know and work until He stops me. And when he returns for his own, He will have no problem recognizing me. My banner is clear."

The apostles are so powerful aren´t they? 26 days until conference!! I love ya´ll and hope that all are determined in the cause of Christ.

Love,

Elder Nelson

No comments:

Post a Comment